Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Remember Y2K?

I remember it very well. Our family's toast to the new millennium never happened. My siblings brought out the champagne and stemware. Then, they remembered Doctor Rick was a teetotaler. They put away their glasses, and New Year's Eve passed without imbibing. We soberly watched the TV screen while the world celebrated with fireworks, lanterns and beach parties. I guess my brother and sister didn't want to drink alone. It made sense. When I was in college, I expected my friends to chugalug with me. (Someday, remind me to tell you about my high school buddy who saw a leprechaun in the bottom of his glass. He was Irish.)

My teetotaler status stemmed from an incident years ago at a local pizza joint. I was enjoying my usual beer and pizza when one of my kids remarked, "Dad, do you realize alcohol kills brain cells?" I thought for a moment how that only applied to "excessive" consumption, and I readied for my beer's defense. Instead, I relented and joined hands with elementary school children and my kids' classmates who'd made a pledge to the D.A.R.E. officer to abstain from alcohol and drugs for life. Plus, I didn't have many brain cells left, so the death-to-brain-cells theory helped persuade me. There was no point in arguing against the collective wisdom of an entire elementary school class. Besides, I worried they might hurt me if I resisted.

Now my kids have grown into young adults. They say "it doesn't matter anymore" if I drink or don't drink. "That's when we were little, Dad," is the familiar refrain. My absolution came just in time. Temptation reared it's ugly head last weekend. It was family reunion time and middle brother brought his usual stash of booze. One of those moments occurred during happy hour when my brother offered me some wine. I hesitated, but before I could resist, he told me he'd give me just a "splash." Indeed, it was a small amount; like the splash of wine we get in church every Sunday, right? Anyhow, I can't recall how many splashes I got that evening, but I'm sure I've killed some brain cells. (No wonder my brother is in sales. He's good at it.)

Until later.

2 comments:

Delirious said...

I'm LDS so don't drink, and it's a good thing because I think I was born lacking a few brain cells anyway. :)

Doctor Rick said...

At first I thought you had a learning disorder (LD) or took LSD. Now I get it -- latter day saints. Remember, I'm missing a few brain cells, so I'm thick of tongue and slow on understanding. Thanks for your comments.