Monday, October 8, 2007

I'm Back

Dear Readers:

I haven't been myself lately. Some virus-from-hell took up residence in my brain cells for the past two weeks, and I've finally kicked it out. It was either me or it -- one of us had to go. Man, that was some bugger. I got tired of being brain dead, headachy, irritable, foggy, and stuck in that zombie state. It didn't seem like I could enjoy anything -- I stopped running, food lost its taste, and my mind was mush. All I was good for was coughing and sneezing. Trouble was, I couldn't drum up any sympathy for my recent plight (except from other family members similarly accursed). People don't stop to register others afflicted with colds on the list of things to pray for.

When is someone going to find a cure for the common cold? Yes, I'd rather have a cold than some serious illness, but it's amazing how such a common malady can steal your vigor, initiative, and peace of mind. When I was an intern, my body seemed to have an uncanny ability to get sick on my vacations. I felt like getting back at the sick bug for ruining my time off, but how do you punch a virus in the nose? Needless to say, I'm on the mend now and feeling much better. As I told a colleague who asked how I was doing: "It feels good when you stop hitting yourself with a brick." Even though it's Monday, I can celebrate because that big bad virus is gone.

Until later.

6 comments:

Baba Doodlius said...

You mean doctors get sick too?!?!? AAAAGGHH! My world view is shattered.

Glad you feel better. Hey, at least you didn't have that brain-eating amoeba - that's some seriously scary sh... uh, stuff.

Carol said...

Glad you're back and feeling better!

Carol (visitor #2222!)

Anonymous said...

Brain-eating amoeba! Really?

Dr Rick, don't you find bugs hang around longer nowadays?

I haven't had a cold since my son left high school eight years ago, touch wood.

Doctor Rick said...

Baba, Carole, and Babzy:

You know, I thought I was back, but I think I was dreaming. It felt so good to kick out that lazy, no-good bum-of-a-virus I forgot to close the door behind me. Now he's back and sleeping on my living room couch! I'm still dragging (Babzy, I think bugs do hang around longer). This weekend I'm going to throw out the couch and see if that works.

Marja said...

Happy you're feeling better. Since me and my family live in NZ we hardly didn't have any colds anymore.

Delirious said...

We lived in China for 2 years and I kept hearing about the Beijing flu. While I lived in Beijing I got sick with a nasty flu. I wrote home and told my family, "Watch out, because I know what is coming your way.". I thought by the time I got home, I would be immune to everything. Um...didn't work..I got sick too. Life is so unfair sometimes. The nice thing about being sick though is that it feels so good when it stops. :)