Monday, December 31, 2007

Out with the Old, In with the New

Dear Readers:

Tonight, New Year's Eve descends upon us -- the ushering in of a new era. I heard someone say to take it easy and to avoid the party scene. I've not been into party activity for years, but I do like to take note of the previous year with some reflection and private celebration. I've mixed feelings about this past year. It certainly has been a stressful one. Job transitions and family health issues predominated, punctuated by brief respites. Today is my last day at this work location; I've been here for eight years. They were mostly good years, but many of the people I knew before aren't here anymore. The culture of the place has changed to something foreign to me. It's time to move on.

Moving on takes resolve to navigate the grieving process. I'm ready to leave, but am sad at the same time. Especially so, when considering some of my patients aren't going to be seeing me any more. They'll find new doctors, but I'll miss them. Oh well, c'est la vie, right? I'll just have to make the best of it. Taking down the pictures in my office was hard. I'm not sure where I'll put them, but I'm taking them with me. Hopefully better days lie ahead. Some people have pulled me aside to wish me well and say goodbye. I'll miss them. At least new work awaits me -- I'll be at a new location this week. Though I'm glad to be employed, new starts are stressful, and I'm anxious to get over that newbie hump.

Hopefully this new year carries some good news. I'd like to see my book get picked up by an agent or editor. So far -- nada. There's a lot of hype about persevering in writing, but let's get real -- getting fiction published is difficult, and I don't want to be counted among the throngs of writers who never get their works off the ground. I saw an article from a publisher who wants writers to be authors and not marketing moguls. I liked what I read. As for other good news in 2008, I'd like to see my mother stay off the injured list. That certainly would calm my fears. She's unstable on her feet and has fallen frequently. Walkers, canes, and her "roadster" don't stop the falls (most of the time she won't use them). Last week she had to go to Urgent Care after falling; she needed eleven sutures in her hand.

I try to navigate each day one day at a time AND plan for the future. You never know what the future holds, but much can be anticipated. Hey, I'm a boy scout. The boy scout motto is be prepared. But, trying to anticipate the future is like trying to forecast the weather. The odds of hitting the mark are highest a few days into the future; nobody really knows what's going to happen further down the road. Surprises happen -- like the deer that collided into my brand new car a few months ago. That wasn't exactly something I anticipated. Also, eight years ago when I took this job, I could see myself staying here forever, but it didn't come to pass -- another surprise. So being prepared is mostly about being flexible enough to find your niche in a changing world.

I once told someone that I've gotten use to living on an ice flow: You stay put for as long as there's solid ice under your feet, but when it starts to melt, you relocate to a different one nearby. (Yes, I know -- the polar bears haven't been making it with this effort, but I said these words before I knew about the plight of melting ice caps and polar bears.) Mostly, I said this in regard to an unstable job market, but the principle of being flexible helps navigate many of life's obstacles thrown in your path. Being flexible involves pain. Today I said goodbye to friends and coworkers, and that was hard. We had good times and often engaged in good natured banter with each other. I remember when one nurse reached for papers on the floor as I walked past her.

"You step on me and you're dead meat," she warned.

"Oh, don't worry," I said. "I never step on road kill."

We laughed then and had many other friendly jests. It was a hectic and busy job, but we could still take time out for levity. I'll miss those days.

Until later.

No comments: