Sunday, December 2, 2007

Runner's High

Dear Readers:

People talk about endorphins that kick in from jogging -- the runner's high. For me, it's not really true. Running just clears my mind and mostly invigorates me, but no high. It's enjoyable in its own right and offers a good stress buster when you need one. Trouble is, try to keep up with the motivation to hit the trails year round. This time of year in Ohio isn't the most conducive to running, unless you like being cold; wintry weather leaves one's teeth chattering. Spring and early Fall are good times; the cool weather motivates you, but doesn't freeze your hands and toes.

Today, my legs weren't so willing to run. So I gave them a rest and took them to a movie instead. I think I burned a few calories walking from my car to the theater, so that should count for something, right? Oh yes, I forgot -- I also walked back to my car after the movie. Anyhow, I'm tired from all this exercise. I think I'll call it a night after this post is done and hit the sack. Maybe tomorrow I'll tackle the indoor gerbil track and get in some laps. It does help to know I've got a marathon scheduled in February next year. Knowing I have to remain fit or risk "hitting the wall" in a marathon spurs me on to get in the daily runs.

So, enough with the runner's high. Getting high isn't all it's cranked out to be. It takes work to get off one's butt and pound the pavement. Sort of like on Monday mornings, when it takes all you've got to roll out of bed and head toward your place of employment. It takes a lot of effort, right? Runners differ in the time of day they like to put their effort to work. I'm definitely not a morning person, but one time I got out at five in the morning to lace up my shoes and go for a spin. Some runner guy who looked fully awake greeted me with a cheery hello. I felt like telling him to keep his thoughts to himself.

Until later.

No comments: