Friday, April 27, 2007

Racing Grandmas

Dear Readers:

Today, I’m at Grandma’s house. I’m helping her with leaky basement issues, bills and the like. She just came back from church and looked disgusted, waving a piece of paper. Turned out she was speeding, and the police officer awarded her a ticket. It was the first time she ever got one. I told her it was like winning the lottery, except someone else won, and she’d have to give them her money. Then I got to be the parent for a bit, and discussed the virtues of safe driving habits, all the gas money she blew, and other important lessons to learn -- sort of like what I’d heard her say when I was a teenager. I encouraged my other siblings to call her and congratulate her for reaching a major milestone and winning her first ticket. I’m tired from all the hard work and phone calls, but it was worth it.

Today, I’m going to be very careful. She might try to swat me with the paper when I’m not looking.

No comments: